Monday, November 30, 2015

Canyons of Concrete and Steel: Favorite Pittsburgh Architecture

Thought I'd try something a little different and create a short slideshow to highlight some of Pittsburgh's lovely architecture. I am having some difficulty getting the video to embed properly, but in the meantime you can watch the slideshow at this link. 

The buildings give the city a European feel--the Allegheny County Courthouse (think Tower of London sans Anne Boleyn) and many of the historic churches, especially the ones located Downtown, come to mind. When I imagine Hogwarts, I think of the Cathedral of Learning, and the exterior of Chatham University is the perfect place for a dramatic, windswept period piece starring me, who would give up my bus pass to be in a dramatic, windswept period piece.

I'll call it Faith Eyre. 

Fun fact: The reason why the road up to Chatham's chapel is so narrow is because it was originally made for horse-drawn carriages. Rumor has it that Chatham is a historical landmark, so the road cannot be widened. AND, there might be secret tunnels between the old mansions. I mean, why not? If I were rich and lived in the 1800s, I would build creepy tunnels in order to best carry out all of my illicit dalliances, too. Very romantic.

The Allegheny County Courthouse, via SheriffAlleghenyCounty.com

Pittsburgh's architecture has cinematic appeal, too. The Mellon Institute and Trinity Cathedral are just some of the buildings featured in films like The Dark Knight Rises.

The Mellon Institute, via LegendaryTrips.com

Though I tend to be drawn to the historic landmarks, the city is also home to thirty green buildings, according to VisitPittsburgh.com. I wasn't aware that we had such a high number--looks like I have another topic to write about!

RELATED LINKS:

Pittsburgh blends seamlessly into 'Dark Knight Rises'

Visit Pittsburgh: Architecture

Randyland




No comments:

Post a Comment